IET logo

Wiring Regulations (BS 7671)

The IET plays a key role in electrical installation standards and safety, and is known for its independent and trusted voice. It manages the national committee JPEL/64 and publishes the IET Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2008(2011).

The Wiring Regulations

Wiring Regulations 17th edition amendment 1 cover

The Wiring Regulations set the standard for electrical installation in the UK and many other countries.

The IET provides guidance on the application of the Regulations through publications focused on the various activities, from design of the installation through to test and maintenance. Free updates for IET publications are sometimes available, depending on the complexity and type of update produced.

A technical helpline is available.

The IET also manages the JPEL/18 Committee, Electrical Installations of Ships and of Mobile and Fixed Offshore Units, which prepares standards for electrical and electronic equipment on ships and offshore structures.


Digital versions of the IET Wiring Regulations

The Wiring Regulations and some supporting publications are now available in e-book format.


The IET, as part of its preparatory work leading to the 17 edition, organised a conference to consider ring circuits. Three papers were presented, and are provided as a resource for those interested in ring and radial circuits and the 13 amp plug.


Other standards work

IET Code of Practice on Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation

IET Standards Limited are currently developing a code of practice on this subject.


The IET is also involved in standards work in the field of telecommunications through NICC Standards Ltd

Latest discussion forum posts


Recent activity Replies
A head scratcher! [04:20 pm 28/07/14] 53
Protective Bonding Query [03:39 pm 28/07/14] 5
RCD/RCD/RCD? [01:59 pm 28/07/14] 12
Ring circuits [01:47 pm 28/07/14] 7


Tel: +44 (0)1438 765599

Fax: +44 (0)1438 765526


Further details

The IET Wiring Regulations model forms of certification and reporting, as listed in BS 7671 and the Building Regulations Part P Approved document, are often referred to as Test Certificates or Forms of Reporting.