Wiring Matters - Summer Issue 2016
Video resources for LV and ELV d.c. power distribution
After the success of the Code of Practice for Low and Extra Low Voltage Direct Current Power Distribution in Buildings, we ran a series of events on the subject of LV and ELV d.c. power distribution. Videos from these events are available on an IET.tv subscription only, however, Wiring Matters has collaborated with IET.tv to make one video from each event free to view.
The need for LV and ELV d.c. power distribution is growing to support, for example:
- solar PV installations and energy storage;
- energy efficient installations (particularly given that a new section on energy efficiency will be included in the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations);
- the rise in popularity of d.c. power distribution networks in buildings, such as for lighting installations;
- technological breakthroughs that make it easier to transmit d.c. over long distances; and
- to allow for the ever growing consumption of more and more products and equipment that require d.c. to operate.
Blane Judd discusses the growing significance of low and extra low voltage d.c. power distribution in buildings in the Summer 2015 issue of Wiring Matters.
The videos now available are:
The case for DC: a vision of the future, filmed at the Low Voltage Direct Current 2015 event.
Case Study: Sola Bristol (an LCNF Project). Revealing the Challenges of Integrating DC Energy Storage Systems in the Home, filmed at the KTN and IET Forum: Direct-Current Energy Systems – Landscape and Opportunities event.
Keynote: Importance of HVDC for future energy supply, filmed at ACDC 2015.
The IET is undertaking a lot of work in this area. Please keep an eye on the Built Environment Sector team page.
ACDC 2017 will take place in Manchester – visit the event page for more details.
The Code of Practice for Low and Extra Low Voltage Direct Current Power Distribution in Buildings is available to purchase for £65.00 or £42.25 member price.
In this issue
- BS 7671: the 18th Edition report
- A guide to lighting design for electricians and installers
- Renewed confidence: solar PV and other renewable energies
- Electrical installations in caravan/camping parks, caravans and motor caravans
- Electrical installations at live outdoor venues
- Interview with Colin Reed
- Insulation inserts in metallic gas service pipes
- Electrical Safety Management: video and book giveaway
- Video resources for LV and ELV d.c. power distribution
Don't miss new articles
Sign up for quarterly notifications of new articles from Wiring Matters